Poke You With My Sticks

Business First

Thursday, June 15, 2006

**FYI-- I did a spell check and found loads of typos. And then when I re-read the post I found more. So basically, what I am saying is that I am aware that I might have mess-ups in this most. You guys a pretty smart, you'll get what I'm saying anyhow. Right?***


So, I saw the Dr. Yesterday and all in all it was a good visit. He was highly recommended to me, and even though it's a 45 minute drive to get there, it was so worth it. I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable. (Carol, if you're reading this, thanks for telling me about this Doc!) So we went over my complete history and Doc is fairly sure it's still just IBS. But since I don't have any previous records, Doc wants to rule everything else out first. He wanted to do a colonoscopy yesterday but the nurse who does it was out of the office. (Don't worry, I mention Colonoscopy a few times, but I'll spare you the details.) Come to think of it, she was supposed to call today and schedule an appt., guess I need to call her tomorrow. You know...It was very surreal. I had a colonoscopy 14 years ago, when I was 14. I had to go to Walter Reed Hospital, stay for two nights, and drink a gallon of the most potent liquid you can imagine. To be able to do the test on the spot, in the office, that's kind of new to me. And as much as I detest the idea of doing it, I was kind of bummed I couldn't do it yesterday. Now, when I do go back for the test, I know I'm going to have an anxiety attack. Just the thought of it makes me dizzy.
Besides all that... I am on two seperate antibiotics, on the slight chance it's an infection. (one that I've had for 14 years, and really bad this last year?) I have to take Xifaxan- 2 pills, 3 times a day for 10 days. And Alinia- 1 pill, 2 times a day for five days. And the kicker...One of the side effects is diarrhea. Go figure! I totally understand ruling everything out, but these meds were not cheap! $150 for both. I also got some samples of Lexapro but I'm really hesitant to take it with the two antibiotics. Can we say overload? And I also have to start drinking this yoghurt drink called "Kefir". It's an organic drink, rather chalky. Doc wants me to drink this because months ago, yoghurt did calm my stomach. We'll see what happens. I'm guessing Doc expected to see me back within two weeks, he only gave me two weeks worth of Lexapro and no prescription for it (just in case I do take them).

So now that we covered the boring, "what do I care?" stuff, how about some knitting. I have lots of pictures tonight, for the poor souls who read through all that crap (pun intended!)...


First up.... My sockapaloooza socks. My apologies for taking so long to post about them. They're made with Mountain Colors Bearfoot, and fit perfectly. I have yet to knit with this yarn, but have two pairs of socks made with it, and I love them. Hands down the most comfy. Erica was my pal, and bless her heart, she got these babies knitted up and mailed, all around the same time she gave birth to her third son. Right on!


Up next....Pomotamus socks. I used Claudia's Handpainted sock yarn, color Red Wagon. Another yarn I love! The pictures don't do any justice for them, which is odd since it was taken outside in the natural light. Somebody, who shall remain unnamed *ahem, husband* spilled beer on them so they got washed and are still drying. I'll take an inside picture tomorrow. As for the pattern, I like it a lot. You have to really pay attention but it's not as hard as it looks.



Here's something else I'm working on. It's the Razor Cami, which I found on craftster. I'm not sure if it's going to work. I'm using cascade fixation and I think the fabric might be too tight. Of course, I would have ordered the yarn used in the original pattern if it weren't for shipping. The yarn is $4 a ball, I need three balls, so $12. And shipping was $7. I just can't bring myself to pay that much shipping, for such a small amount. And I can't find this yarn anywhere (Sirdar snuggly)


You like my needle stopper thingys? Here's a close up picture...

A lady (sorry, I don't have her name) at SoXperience told me about this. They're little foam beads found at a craft store. I have tons of these thanks to my crafty monkey girl. I stuck them on my size six needles, and they were just the perfect snugness. And so cheap, and easy to replace.


And now what I really want to talk about... I've been seeing these really cute sewn drawstring bags for sock projects. I have some patterns printed out and keep meaning to sew some up, but never seem to have the time. And then I went to Target (again!) and found this bag...

Isn't it cute?! There were only three left (1 red, two green). It's a little taller than a soda can, and zips all the way around the top. Want to know how much? $1 each... Of course, I bought all three, and would have bought more if they had 'em. I am totally loving my sock kit. It went to Doc's yesterday. I'm happy to say, she travels well. Now, if only I could sew up a needle case to go with it. I have this idea floating in my head on what I want. Of course, I haven't seen any already made ones anywhere, so I have to design my own. I. Do. Not. Design.

I guess you want to see what's inside eh? Have a look...


I have my All Things Heather yarn, color Avocado. Love it! A sock in progress. An altoids tin holding tape measure, row counter, scissors (they fold up) stitch markers, stitch holder and some post-it notes. A crochet hook, and a laminated card I made with a generic short row heel pattern. And there is still a little room left.
Here's what I have so far on the sock.

I am loving this yarn. Obviously, I'm doing them toe up, magic loop. I did the magic cast-on from knitty and I LOVE it. It's not any easier or quicker than the Turkish cast on (which I recently learned) but I was able to get it tighter than the Turkish cast on. I'm doing 60 sts, on Addi size 1's and it's just right. As I mentioned above, I'm using a basic short row heel. When I get to the cast off I'll decide what to do. Stretchy bind off, picot bind off, picot hem? Soo many choices here.
Here's a close up of the magic cast on toe... Isn't it pretty?!



Phew! That's a lot of info, huh? I think I'll get to bed now. We spent the evening in the pool. Man, that thing wears you out. I'll leave you with a picture of my furry kids at their favorite hangout. Mom and Dad's bed. Bird watching at its finest.

Have a great week-end! Mine's full of baseball practice (two kids) and Father's Day fun. Whee....